International Insurance Legal Advisor
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds together MSF’s 26 Institutional Members of which 24 sections, and other offices such as Branch Offices and Satellites. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
The management of risk and insurances is done nationally by MSF entities and internationally by the International Insurance Steering Committee (ISC). Its purpose is to identify and propose insurance solutions to improve the management of risks and to manage the international insurance portfolio.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The ISC is composed of a mix of representatives of different MSF entities and functions (e.g. Finance, HR). The Committee is accountable to MSF’s Full Executive Committee.
In the execution of its mandate, the ISC is supported by two advisors, a commercial advisor and a legal advisor.
The International Insurance Legal Advisor is based in Luxemburg: the position reports to the chair of the ISC who is by definition the GD of MSF Luxembourg; closeness to the line manager and with Luxembourg local authorities would be very helpful as a good part of MSF International insurances are subscribed by MSF Luxembourg on behalf of the Movement.
The position works closely in tandem with the International Commercial Insurance Advisor.
The overall purpose of the position is to provide legal advice, guidance and support to the ISC and review legal materials and contracts related to its mandate. The position has an active role in preparing and reviewing insurance contracts and other legal agreements or documents. It guides insurance contract negotiations and advises on and monitors legal compliance in relation to the policies in the international portfolio.
The legal advisor is main lead for a number of designated insurances in the Committee’s portfolio.
- Give accurate and timely counsel to the ISC on legal issues affecting the international insurance portfolio
- Day-to-day management of the international insurance portfolio (in collaboration with theInternational Insurance Commercial Advisor)
- Ensure the administrative management of existing international insurance contracts and revise the appropriate legal documentation
- Communicate and negotiate with relevant external parties, creating relations of trust
- Upon request from an MSF entity, check the compliance of the existing portfolio with the applicable legal framework and provide legal advice on the insurance strategy
- Act as main lead for the following international insurance policies:
- Medical malpractice
- Directors & Officers
- Clinical trials
Support the Operational Centers and other entities upon request on medical and liability claims
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure the MSF’s full legal rights
- Within the frame of the ISC portfolio, negotiate new insurance contracts, participate to renegotiation of existing contracts and renewal processes, and proactively check the content of the existing policies (legal wording)
- In case of a tender, act as lead on the legal part of the tender
- Advise on policy drafting and compliance issues including focusing on risk reduction strategies.
- Internal communication, documentation and knowledge management
- Draft the ISC meeting minutes
- Manage the ISC Sharepoint including regular updates and document archiving
- Contribute to the communication strategy of the ISC
- Identify & contribute to topics for ISC newsletter
- Draft relevant guidelines and memos for MSF internal use and inform MSF stakeholders on the content of the insurance policies
- Legal advisor / Lawyer, holder of a higher education (Master 2) in Commercial/Business Law
- Solid experience in the insurance and re-insurance sector
- Strong analytical, research and synthesis skills
- Rigor and keen sense of organization
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work well within a team and individually
CONTRACT CONDITIONS AND BENEFITS
Duration: 2- year contract - Full-time with possibility for open-ended contract after the initial one
Reporting to: General Director, MSF Luxemburg
Gross salary: 4 010€ - 4 980 € depending on experience, meal vouchers & health complementary insurance
Starting date: asap
Application deadline: June 12th , 2022
MSF values diversity and is committed to create an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants https://msf.lu/en/privacy-notice-for-msf-luxembourg-job-applicants.