ABOUT THIS POLICY
At MSF we make sure we protect the information you give us. References to “we” or “us” are to Médecins Sans Frontières Luxembourg, 68 rue de Gasperich, L-1617 Luxembourg, +352 33 25 15 (R.C.S Luxembourg F4090).
This privacy notice is written in accordance with relevant data protection legislation including the National Commission for Data Protection and the General Data Protection Regulation.
If you’ve any questions please contact us using the details above or at firstname.lastname@example.org
We collect information:
- when you give it to us directly
- when you give it to us indirectly
- when you give it to us via social media
- when you use our websites, through cookies
You may give us personal information when you: donate, sign up for one of our events, communicate with us, sign up for email newsletters and leave a comment on our social media accounts.
We may get your personal information via a fundraising organisation or platform if you’ve told them that you’re supporting MSF and with your consent. Please check their privacy policies when you give them your information.
We may get information about you from your social media accounts or services. Facebook and Twitter are examples. We can do this if you’ve set your account settings to give us permission. Please check your settings and their privacy policies for more details.
We use “cookies” to identify you when you visit our website.
For any question or request, do not hesitate to contact us via email:
If you contact us we'll usually collect your:
- Phone number
- Birth date
When you donate, we may also collect your bank or credit card details and birth date to check if you are under 18.
As a general rule, your personal data will not be used for any other purpose than that for which they were voluntarily provided to us. Your personal data are shared or transferred to third parties if such sharing or transfer is authorized by you or required to achieve the purposes for which you have provided them to us. It means that we may share your personal data with service providers, who help assist us in fulfilling our purposes. For instance, by registering to our newsletter, you consent that your personal data (name and email) be processed for the purpose of sending you emails. Personal data may also be shared with third parties when required by law or by a court order.
We use your data to:
- deal with your questions and requests
- process and acknowledge your donations
- keep a record of your engagement with us
- send you updates, marketing and fundraising communications
- understand how we can improve our services and information
- analyse our fundraising activity
How we use your data depends on why you’re providing it:
ONLINE FORMS AND FEEDBACK
We’ll use your personal information to respond to your questions, requests or register you for events.
We use surveys to understand who visits our websites and how they use it, helping us to create better content for you and make our websites easier to use.
We may ask for your email address if you’re happy to be involved in future surveys or testing. We’ll only use this to ask you to help us with these types of requests.
We use your information to process and keep a record of your donation, in accordance with the relevant legislation on data retention. We also use your data to provide you with the tax documentation you need.
We use direct marketing to let you know what MSF is doing and how your support makes a difference. We may use it for emergency fundraising or to ask for other support. We'll always respect your preferences and endeavour to send you information that you’ll find interesting, in the format you prefer.
We'll send you direct marketing by post, email or phone, unless you indicate that you don't want to hear from us this way. We send these communications on the basis of it being within our legitimate interests to do so or if you've consented to receive this. Please see the “Legal Basis for Processing Data” section below for more information on this.
Our email direct marketing has ways to opt out at any time.
If you don’t want to hear from us, that’s fine. Just let us know on +352 33 25 15 or at email@example.com.
We may use publicly available information from your profile to target you with specific posts that may interest you. We’ll never ask for personal or sensitive information on social media. We may repost or share your posts on social media if it relates to MSF and our work. We may respond to questions, queries or comments left on our social media channels. We may use information found on your profile to help us answer these.
Check your social media accounts if you want to change the information you make public. Our websites use sharing buttons which share our web pages to social media platforms. Use these buttons at your own discretion. Social media platforms may track these shares through your accounts.
Your information is only accessible by trained staff. We regularly review who has access to your information. As a general rule, your personal data will only be accessible insofar as it is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. For instance, the data you provide for donations will be accessible to our donations department, our fundraising and marketing team and to service providers, if any, for the purpose of processing your donation. We do comprehensive checks on any contractors before we work with them.
We use other companies to help us manage and store personal data and to carry out certain activities on our behalf. Our main data processors are listed below, but we may enlist the services of others from time to time:
- Eudonet – our in-house fundraising database
- Braintree - our Paypal and online payment partner
- MailChimp – our provider for newsletters
- Prezly – our provider for the communication with journalists
- Survey Monkey - survey
- Google analytics, our tool for analysing the use of websites
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures and precautions in order to protect your personal data and to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal data.
We have adopted many technical measures, for example we use SSL security standard certificates.
We keep your information for as long as it’s necessary in connection with the purposes defined above in “How do we use your information?” and for the purpose of providing you with your tax receipt. For instance and as a general rule, we keep your email for the purpose of sending you a newsletter until you unsubscribe.
If you request to receive no further contact from us, we'll keep only the basic information about you on our suppression list in order to avoid sending you unwanted materials in the future, for the duration allowed by the application legislation.
Organisations need a lawful basis to collect and use personal data under data protection law. The law allows for six ways to process personal data (and additional ways for sensitive personal data). Three of these are relevant to the types of processing that MSF carries out:
- A person’s consent;
- Processing that is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation (eg to process a gift aid declaration); and
- Our legitimate interests (please see below for more information).
Our legitimate interests include:
- Charity Governance; including delivery of our charitable purposes, statutory and financial reporting and other regulatory compliance purposes;
- Administration and operational management; including responding to solicited enquires, providing information and services, research, events management, the administration of volunteers and employment and recruitment requirements.
- Fundraising and Campaigning; including administering campaigns and donations, and sending direct marketing and thank you letters by post.
If you'd like to change our use of your personal data in this manner, please get in touch with us using the details above:
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +352 33 25 15 if you'd like to change or update your personal information.
You have a number of rights under data protection legislation:
- You can request any information we hold on you. Email us at email@example.com and ask for it in writing. You may be asked for proof of identity.
- You have the right to ask us to stop using or to restrict the processing of your personal data.
- You can withdraw your consent to us processing your data at any time (where such processing is based on consent eg to send you electronic direct marketing).
- If you believe our records are inaccurate you have the right to ask for those records concerning you to be updated. To update your records please get in touch with us using the details above.
- In accordance with the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation, you have a right to erasure (“to be forgotten” i.e. to have your personal data deleted from our database), or transferred to another organisation (“data portability”).
- You can contact us if you’ve any queries about data protection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any concerns about the way your data is being used or if you’d like to make a complaint please contact us using the details above. You're also entitled to make a complaint to the National Commission for Data Protection.
We change this Privacy Notice when we need to. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we’ll make this clear on our websites or by contacting you directly.
This privacy notice was prepared to be as comprehensive as possible, but it doesn't include an exhaustive list of every aspect our collection and use of personal information. However, we'd be happy to provide any further information or explanation about our practices.
If you’ve any questions, comments or suggestions, please let us know by contacting us at email@example.com
Last updated on 8 June 2018.
Under international treaties and agreements containing provisions relating to the protection of copyright, you are prohibited from:
- Reproducing this website and its content, for any purpose other than private
- Selling, distributing, transmitting, broadcasting, adapting, modifying and publishing, in whole or in part, in any shape or form, the data, presentation or layout of this website without prior written consent from MSF ©.
Reproducing content on paper is allowed for educational purposes, under three conditions:
- Free distribution
- Modifying or altering the copied content is prohibited
- Make a clear reference to content’s source, as follow: "document of www.msf.lu, website MSF-Luxembourg. Rights reserved and strictly limited reproductions "
For any question or request, do not hesitate to contact us via email:
MSF has made every effort to ensure the reliability of the information published on this website. MSF can not incur any liability for errors, omissions or the results that may be obtained from the use of such information.
MSF is solely bound by an obligation of means regarding the information it makes available to people visiting its website. Furthermore, the use of hypertext links can lead you to visit other servers, servers on which MSF has no control.
Any all rights on this document belong to MSF. Any reproduction, without written consent, is strictly forbidden.